The selection of green building materials and products represents one important strategy in the design of a green building. Green building materials offer specific benefits to the building owner and building occupants and are follows:
- Reduced maintenance/replacement costs over the life of the building.
- Energy conservation.
- Improved occupant health and productivity.
- Lower costs associated with changing space configurations.
- Greater design flexibility.
Selection criteria for green material:A) Resource efficiency:
- Recycled Content: Products with identifiable recycled content, including post industrial content with a preference for post consumer content.
- Natural and renewable: Materials harvested from sustain ably managed sourced and preferably have an independent certification (e. g. certified wood) and are certified by an independent third party.
- Resource efficient manufacturing process: Products manufactured with resource-efficient processes including reducing energy consumption, minimizing waste (recycled, recyclable and or source reduced product packaging), and reducing greenhouse gases.
- Locally available: Building materials, components, and system found locally or regionally saving energy and resources in transportation to the project site.
- Salvaged, refurbished, or remanufactured: Includes saving a material from disposal and renovating, repairing, restoring, or generally improving the appearance, performance, quality, functionality, or value of a product.
- Low or non -toxic: Materials that emit few or no CFC’s, reproductive toxicants, or irritants as demonstrated by the manufacturer through appropriate testing.
- Minimal chemical emissions: Products that have minimal emission of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). Products that also maximize resources and energy efficiency while reducing chemical emissions.
- Moisture resistant: Product and systems that resist moisture or inhibit the growth of biological contaminants in building.
- Healthfully maintained: Materials, components, and systems that require only simple, non-toxic, or low-VOC methods of cleaning.
- Systems or equipment: Products that promotes IAQ by identifying indoor air pollutants or enhancing the air quality.