Kitchen countertops are available in the market in diverse options. The most commonly used kitchen countertop materials are granites, quartz, etc. The article here highlights the top kitchen countertop material used in residential kitchens.
A brief description of top kitchen countertop material, along with their respective pros and cons, is described in this article.
- 1. Granite Kitchen Countertops
- 2. Wooden Kitchen Countertop
- 3. Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops
- 4. Concrete Kitchen Countertops
- 5. Ceramic Tile Kitchen Countertops
- 6. Soapstone Kitchen Countertop
- 7. Laminate Kitchen Countertops
- 8. Quartz Kitchen Countertops
- Frequently Asked Question
1. Granite Kitchen Countertops
Granite is a top choice for kitchen countertops when money is not an issue. Granite kitchen countertops give an elegant and luxurious look to the kitchen.
The stone was costly in earlier times. As it became more common, the cost has become affordable for the middle-class family.
Advantages of Granite Countertops
- Granite countertops are strong and durable.
- Granite countertops increase the real estate value.
- Granites are available in different colors.
- It demands zero maintenance when sealed with a good sealer.
- Highly impervious to heat.
Disadvantages of Granite Countertops
- Granite material is expensive.
- Improper installation or unexpected stress on granite can result in cracks.
- Granite slab may have imperfections.
- This countertop cannot be installed as a DIY project.
- Knife marks and cuts can make the surface dull.
2. Wooden Kitchen Countertop
A wood or butcher block is an out-of-box kitchen countertop idea that provides a warm look to the kitchen. Wooden countertops have choices in different colors and finish. Mostly used wooden kitchen countertop is made out of maple and oak.
Advantages of Wooden Countertops
- An adequately maintained wooden countertop stays for an extended period.
- A wood countertop is easy to clean.
- As a part of maintenance, a wood countertop can be sanded, resealed, and polished.
Disadvantages of Wooden Countertops
- Wood countertops are relatively expensive.
- The surface gets scratches easily.
- The presence of water can damage the wood.
- Improper maintenance and cleaning result in the growth of bacteria.
- Oiling and sealing helps to prevent cracks in the wooden surface.
3. Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops
Stainless steel kitchen countertops give a contemporary and rough industrial look to the kitchen space. These countertops are constructed based on standard specifications. Installation of stainless steel countertops based on standard specifications provide a seamless look to the countertop.
Advantages of Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops
- Stainless steel countertops are heat resistant and durable.
- It provides an excellent modern look.
- Stainless steel countertops are premium countertops.
- It adds to the real estate value.
Disadvantages of Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops
- Working with stainless steel countertops is noisy.
- The fabrication cost of stainless is expensive.
- The steel surface gets scratches easily.
4. Concrete Kitchen Countertops
If the required countertop needs an unusual shape or a unique style, then people go for concrete countertops. The concrete countertops are massive structures that are cast using forms.
The concrete countertops are highly polished, or acid stained as the finishing process. Concrete countertops of different textures are also designed as per the requirement.
Advantages of Concrete Countertops
- High resistance to heat and scratch.
- The concrete option gives a unique countertop idea to the kitchen.
- Concrete countertops can be color-tinted.
- Different types of decorative textures and colors are possible.
Disadvantages of Concrete Countertops
- DIY installation is not possible
- As concrete countertops are custom works, they are expensive.
- For some, the countertops look like industrial space.
- Improper sealing causes a porous surface.
- Cracks occur with time.
5. Ceramic Tile Kitchen Countertops
When compared with other countertop options, ceramic tile is less expensive. Recent development has resulted in a variety of porcelain tiles that come in varied designs. Ceramic tiles are available in looks similar to wood, marble, cork, or even leather. Ceramic tile comes in a large number of designs compared to any other countertop solution.
Advantages of Ceramic Tile Countertops
- Ceramic tiles are an affordable choice for kitchen countertop.
- It can be installed as a DIY project.
- Ceramic tiles are available in a plethora of colors and styles.
- Less damage due to heat damage from hot pans
Disadvantages of Ceramic Kitchen Countertops
- Ceramic tiles are costly when they are customized.
- The tiles are very brittle resulting in breakage under impact.
- The level of prestige it carries is less compared to granite and quartz.
- The grout lines can stain fast. It is difficult to clean the grout lines.
6. Soapstone Kitchen Countertop
Soapstone acts as an alternative to granite kitchen countertops. It is mainly available in shades of grey. This countertop option gives a smooth and silky feel to the surface.
Historic homes and similar interiors make use of soapstone as a standard countertop option. Modern architecture also employs soapstone for kitchen countertops and space near the sinks.
With time, the soapstone surface gives an antique look, which makes the kitchen style more attractive.
Advantages of Soapstone Kitchen Countertops
- Soapstone Kitchen countertops are stain-resistant.
- Have appreciable impermeability to heat.
- Any damages can be removed by sanding.
- It provides an antique and historic look to the kitchen.
Disadvantages of Soapstone Kitchen Countertops
- The soapstone gets darker in color with time.
- DIY installation is not possible.
- The soapstone surface must be treated with mineral oil.
- Surface is prone to scratch.
7. Laminate Kitchen Countertops
Laminates are plastic-coated synthetics that give a smooth surface for kitchen works. Laminate countertops are made by bonding the laminate sheets to a core board, mostly made of MDF.
The laminates are brought from the market either as post-form countertops or custom-fabricated. Custom fabricated laminates can be either constructed on-site or in fabrication workshop.
The laminates are employed for retro designs and mid-century modern kitchens.
Advantages of Laminate Kitchen Countertops
- Laminate countertop offers easy maintenance.
- Laminates are available in a thousand designs.
- DIY installation is very easy.
- An inexpensive countertop option.
Disadvantages of Laminate Kitchen Countertops
- The laminate seams are visible.
- It is considered as a low-end countertop option
- The custom edging process of laminates increases the overall costs.
- The laminate surface gets scratch and chips off with more wear. Its repair is almost impossible.
8. Quartz Kitchen Countertops
Quartz is an engineered stone that contains 93 percent of quartz particles and minerals. The mix is shaped into a slab with the help of resins. These are not obtained as slab during the quarrying process.
It is the most adaptable and super-performing alternative to granites and marble countertops. Quartz is available in huge varieties. These have a non-porous surface that can resist scratches and stains. The engineered quartz stone does not require staining like natural stones.
Advantages of Quartz Kitchen Countertops
- Quartz countertops can be DIY-installed.
- The maintenance of quartz countertops is easy.
- It does not require sealing to prevent stains.
- The slabs are available with perfect shape and perfection.
- Quartz slabs can be custom made for the kitchen countertop.
- It is impervious to heat and acid exposure.
Disadvantages of Quartz Kitchen Countertops
- Quartz countertops are expensive.
- The weight of the quartz slab is heavy.
Frequently Asked Question
Among various kitchen countertop options, the best material based on maintenance and durability are granite and quartz countertops.
The best stone materials that are perfect for kitchen countertops are granite and quartz. Granite kitchen countertops give an elegant and luxurious look to the kitchen. It is the most adaptable and super -performing alternative to granites and marble countertops
The most durable countertop is granite. But quartz and concrete countertops have tremendous durability if maintained properly.
Among major kitchen countertop options, the ceramic tile is considered the most affordable countertop option. Ceramic tiles are available in looks similar to wood, marble, cork, or even leather. Ceramic tile comes in design options compared to any other countertop solution.