A concrete grinder is a finishing tool used to perform the process of grinding and leveling concrete surface to provide a smooth finish. The concrete grinder can be used as surface preparation tool, aggressive coating removing tool and as concrete polishing tool.
The basics of concrete grinder, its types and benefits are briefly explained below.
Basics and Components of Concrete GrinderConcrete grinder basically consists of a rotating head that helps to smooth and level the surface. Nowadays, most of the concrete grinding is performed by diamonds. This process is called as “diamond grinding” as the abrasive discs used to grind the surface have diamond particles. The main components of a concrete grinder are the:
1. Diamond in Concrete GrinderSynthetic diamonds are commonly used diamond type in concrete grinder. These are available in different strength, shape, and size. The size of the diamond is represented in terms of grits which are available in different sizes represented by grit numbers. These grits help in proper work optimisation. The size of the diamond and the corresponding grit number are inversely proportional to each other. This means that a larger diamond has a smaller grit size and vice versa. For aggressive coating removal on concrete surface, we make use of large diamonds. For polishing and honing applications, we make use of small diamonds.
2. Bonds in Concrete GrinderBonds are another important part in a concrete grinder. The concrete grinding tool does work properly if the bond used does not match with the material used for grinding. The main purpose of the bond is to completely hold the diamond used for grinding. During the grinding process, the bond undergoes wearing in a planned way so that new diamond is exposed for grinding without the sudden breakage of the diamond. The choice of diamond grit and the bonds vary with the required application. Read More: Polished Concrete Floors
Types of Concrete GrindersThe selection of concrete grinder is dependent on the job to be executed and the type of material to be removed. Major classification of concrete grinders are:
- Hand Held Concrete Grinders
- Walk Behind Grinders
1. Hand-Held Concrete GrindersA hand-held concrete grinder is used to grind concrete surfaces at the corners and tight areas. These are used in areas where walk- behind concrete grinders cannot be easily reached for grinding. The grinding process creates large amount of dust which is taken out through a shroud and extraction hose attached to the tool unit.
2. Walk Behind Concrete GrindersA walk behind grinder is a large concrete grinder unit that helps to grind the concrete over the body of the floor. Larger areas of concrete can be ground with these machines. Different models of walk-behind concrete grinders are present which are run either by LP, petrol or diesel.
Uses of Concrete GrindersThe various uses of concrete grinders are
- Presence of strong and stubborn tile glues can be easily removed with the help of concrete grinders.
- Inexpensive when compared with other membrane removal methods
- Unevenly casted concrete surfaces can be smoothened and made shiny by concrete grinders.
- Concrete surface can be ground in an extra amount to expose the aggregates and polished to give a good aesthetic look.
- The concrete finish provided by concrete grinders are comparable with other stone floor surfaces.