🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteConcrete mix design is process of preparation of concrete with suitable proportion of ingredients to meet the required strength and durability of concrete structure. Every ingredient of concrete consists different properties so, it is not an easy task to get economical and good concrete mix. The types and advantages of concrete mix design are discussed below.
Types of Concrete Mix DesignConcrete mix design can be done by the two ways namely
- Nominal concrete mix
- Designed concrete mix
1. Nominal Concrete MixNominal concrete mix are low grade concrete mixes which are used for small and unimportant works. In this method, fine aggregate quantity is fixed irrespective of cement and coarse aggregate proportions. Hence, the quality of concrete mix will be varied and required strength may not be obtained. In Nominal mix design water-cement ratio also not specified. Grades of concrete M20 and below are prepared by the Nominal mix design. For higher grade designed concrete mix is preferred.
2. Designed Concrete MixThe designed concrete mix does not contain any specified ranges in proportions. The design is done according to the requirements of concrete strength. So, we can achieve the desirable properties of concrete either it is in fresh stage or in hardened stage. The fresh concrete properties like workability, setting time and hardened concrete properties like compressive strength, durability etc. are attained surely by this method. Use of additives like admixtures, retarders etc. other than basic ingredients are used to improve the properties of mix. Using design concrete mix, one can design various grades of concrete from as low as M10 grade to higher grades such as M80, M100 can also be prepared. The workability requirements of each mix can also meet using this method from zero slump to the 150 mm slump. Each mix prepared is tested in laboratory after hardening to verify whether it meet the requirement or not.
Advantages of Concrete Mix DesignThe advantages of concrete mix design are as follows
- Required Proportions of Each ingredient
- Quality Concrete Mix
- Economical Concrete Mix
- Best Use of Locally Available Material
- Desired Properties of Mix