Concrete pumps are tools used to convey liquid concrete from the source of concrete to the place of casting. The basic principle, the types, and selection of concrete pumps based on work are explained briefly in this article.
Principle of Concrete PumpA basic concrete pump was initially developed as a two-cylinder hydraulic pump. This works by the principle of one piston drawing the concrete from the hopper (concrete source) and the other piston pushing it into the discharge outlet pipe. The decision of which cylinder has to be opened to the hopper and which must be opened to the discharge pipe is controlled by means of a valve. With future developments, variations in this design were bought to facilitate high-pressure pumping when concrete have to pump at different heights and lengths. This development got great demand in the fast construction of high-rise buildings.
Types of Concrete PumpsBased on the pumping pressure, ease of working and developing technologies different concrete pumps have been developed. The main classification of concrete pumps are:
- Line Concrete Pumps
- Boom Concrete Pumps
1. Boom Concrete PumpsBoom concrete pumps stay at one particular position for the entire time of concrete pouring on a construction project. Hence these are stationary concrete pumps. They have a larger dimension which is placed on the ground. These have crane or boom arm attached to it in different lengths. The concrete pumping to different heights like in the construction of high-rise building can be performed by boom concrete pumps. Boom concrete pumps allow the pipeline to reach along, upwards and below. Hence tight spots can be cast by these pumps. Obstacles during the concrete casting path can be easily overcome by such pumps.
2. Line Concrete PumpsLine concrete pumps are compact units that are mainly used for small construction projects. The arrangement has a line pump attached to the back of the truck or the trailer. Hence the arrangement is also called as trailer mounted concrete pump or truck mounted concrete pump.
How to Choose a Concrete Pump?The concrete pump is selected based on the requirements of the construction project. A good and right choice of concrete pump is decides based on the following parameters:
- Manufacturer of the Concrete Pump
- The purpose of Concrete Pump
- The complexity of Construction Projects in terms of casting
- Price and economic factors
- Select the best manufacturer of the concrete pump in the region. For this, ask contractors of the region and search for assistance from any known manufacturers.
- Now a wide variety of options can be viewed online. Check high rated concrete pumps and their respective customer reviews.
Concrete Pump Selection Based on WorkWhen the concrete pump is selected based on work, two primary factors are considered:
- Volumetric Concrete Output
- The Pumping Pressure
H = Q x P Eq.(1)The selection of the concrete pump mentioned above can be selected based on different construction works.
- A boom or truck mounted concrete pump is best suitable for the construction of huge road and highway projects.
- For concrete pouring at several altitudes, where there is a limited area for the concrete pouring, a boom concrete pump is the best choice.
- Boom concrete pumps can install two or three robotic pump lines that act as a multi-purpose robotic arm where the labour number is less.
- A line concrete pump or a stationary pump is chosen for the construction of sidewalks or slabs. Wherever a small amount of concrete pumping is required, the stationary pump is selected.