Laser crack measurement system is highly developed technological methods of inspecting pavements which has been used extensively around the world. Advantages and applications of laser crack measurement system for pavements are discussed.
Laser Crack Measurement System for PavementsFollowing topics are discussed:
- What is a laser measurement crack system (LMCS)?
- What is the purpose of LMCS?
- What are the applications of LMCS?
- How accurate is the laser measurement cracks system?
- What are the advantages of LMCS?
Laser crack measurement system machine and a typical example of inspecting pavements
What is a Laser Crack Measurement System (LMCS)?Laser crack measurement system for pavements use laser line projector, high speed camera, and advanced optics to produce high resolution 3D profile of roads. The system can produce both 2D and 3D image data of the surface of a road. The resolution of the images is 1mm and 4m breadth of the road can be covered at machine speed of 100km/hour. The data produced due to laser crack measurement system is analyzed using pavemetric’s data processing tool. Consequently, different road deterioration specifically cracks will be detected. Figure-1 illustrates the configuration of laser measurement cracks system.
Fig.1: Arrangement of Laser Crack Measurement System
Purpose of Laser Crack Measurement SystemLaser measurement crack system is developed to inspect and scan roads, concrete surfaces to determine the location and types of deterioration that the inspected pavement and concrete surface has experienced.
Fig.2: Pavement Profile - Crack Detection
Applications of Laser Crack Measurement SystemIt is used to inspect pavements and it can specify cracks and its severity, lane markings, ruts (including rut depth and types which involves short, multiple, and long radius), potholes, micro-texture, patches, raveling, sealed cracks.
Fig.3: Manholes Detected Using LMCSLMCS is used to inspect concrete road surfaces and assess joints, alignment of concrete slab, and specify whether tinning is present or not. LMCS has also been used to inspect various infrastructures for example Dublin airport, Cork airport. The used to inspect taxiway, runway, and aprons of those airports.
Fig.4: Inspection of Dublin Airport using Laser Crack Measurement System
Accuracy of LMCS
- It is reported that, the system is well over 95% accurate in the classification of cracks while 3D crack data is visually presented.
- The laser measurement crack system is found to be 95% accurate in longitudinal crack detection.
- It is reported that, the LMCS is 90% accurate in the detection of cracks in transverse direction.
Fig.5: Detection of longitudinal cracks using laser crack measurement system, 3D image
Fig.6: Detection of transverse cracks using laser crack measurement system, 3D image
Advantages of Laser Crack Measurement System
- It produces more objective identification of pavement distress
- It substantially declines the safety risks of having staffs on the ground
- It greatly reduces the cost of closing roads and this advantage is more obvious in case of airports since airport closure is significantly costly.
- It decline the time that staffs need to spend on the ground
- It permits use friendly display of acquired data
- The system can operate completely both in daylight and night
Fig.7: Configuration and Application of Laser Crack Measurement System (LMCS)