🕑 Reading time: 1 minute
There are innumerable applications of bricks in the field of Civil engineering. They are widely used as a structural as well as a non-structural(aesthetical) element in construction. When used as a structural member, bricks are used for the construction of walls, retaining walls, arches, claddings etc, and as a non-structural member, they can be used as fillers and for ornamental purpose.
It is commonly desirable to employ good quality bricks in order to be able to serve its purpose. Favorable brick characteristics include uniformity in color; size; and shape, sound and compact, free from cracks, compressive strength between 15 to 35 MPa, durable, non-inflammable and incombustible.
10 Structural and Non-structural Applications of Bricks
- High-quality bricks, which possess standard shape, sharp edges, smooth surfaces, high durability, and great strength, can be used for permanent structural construction such as buildings, dams, roads, bridge piers, etc.
- Bricks can be used for construction of walls of any size (exposed brick walls, foundation walls, fences, brick retaining walls) floors, arches, and cornices.
- High-quality bricks are also utilized for decorative purposes for example provision of architectural effects on structures, and may be employed in a variety of colors, textures, bonds and joints.
- Sun-dried or un-burnt bricks are used only for temporary structures and these bricks should be avoided where heavy dampness and frequent rain is predominant.
- Sun-dried bricks are used only for temporary structures and these bricks should be avoided where heavy dampness and frequent rain is predominant.
- Low-quality bricks or over-burned bricks are used as aggregate for foundation concrete and road metal works. This is because they can break easily and not suitable for construction purpose.
- Refractory bricks or fire bricks such as silica, magnesia, chamotte, and neutral refractory are used for lining of chimneys, furnaces, pizza ovens, and outdoor brick barbecues. This type of brick must have good thermal shock resistance, under load, high melting point, and satisfactory porosity.
- Manufacture of surki (powdered bricks) to be used in lime plaster and lime concrete
- Bricks can be used for creating informal walkway or path to doors and walking path through flower garden.
- Holes in bricks can be used to create gorgeous planter/candleholders.