🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteThe checklist in masonry wall construction is prepared to ensure that the masonry projects are constructed according to the higher standards. This is carried out by providing proper assistance for undergoing the review processes at the site. The in-charge of inspecting the masonry work at the site is supposed to prepare the masonry wall construction checklist. The checklist of item is also provided to the mason to review his work frequently so that the quality of work is assured from his side also. The method of checklist preparation in masonry work ensures the confirmation of standards not only for the masonry work but also the workmanship standards.
How to Prepare Masonry Wall Construction Checklist?Now masonry checklist, in general, will consist of three columns as shown in the figure-1. The first column is for specifying the Item and the Work. The second column is for specifying the details of the respective work. The third column is remarks or comments. This column designation will vary based on the specific requirements of the project item. The figure-1 below is an example of Masonry checklist that is prepared for the inspection purpose.
Fig.1. An Example for Masonry Inspection Checklist
Details Required in Checklist for Masonry Wall ConstructionSo as a summary, the masonry checklist incorporates the following essentials:
- Mention and updating the availability of the materials available and yet to reach.
- Preparation of the area for the preparation of the concrete or the material. This will involve the cleaning of the work zone.
- Proper and appropriate bundling of the bricks. This will check improper placement and spoiling of brick materials.
- Quality of bricks and the sand materials are mentioned once the test is conducted.
- Check for over-burnt clays or under burnt clays.
- Wetting of the bricks.
- In case of clay bricks, they have to soaked before the work start.
- The plumb level is checked.
- Amount of salt content in the silt is checked.
- Dead mortars are cleaned for new work and checked.
- Racking and curing is checked – all vertical joints and horizontal joints have to be properly aligned.
- Any chances of expansion or modification is checked.
- Proper and accurate checking for pointing, plastering and finishing details.
- Erection of frames – Alignment and position of the door is checked.
- Checking the outline of each room – compared with the plan, checking the diagonal, the position of the windows and the openings.
- Based on the diagonals and the dimension of the room, the first layer of the bricks is laid.
- Joint must be checked for uniformity and thickness not greater than 10 to 12mm is maintained.
- Mortar Mix
- Water for mixing-storage of materials
- Specified Mortar type
- Check the mortar preparation and mix consistency
- Mortar Mixing and Mortar Ration in Masonry Wall Construction
- Application of Mortar- Proper filling of the joints
- Filling the cavities and grouted cells
- The joints in masonry must be properly cleared
- Ensure the brickwork height to be made on a single day ( 1.5m)
- Curing Details –Checked
- After the work, the top of the wall is covered with wet jute bag after the end of every work
- The curing has to be done for 7 to 10 days