Cigarette butt bricks are produced by blending cigarette butts with
The percentage of cigarette butt addition is based on the purpose for which bricks are being used. This is because a
Not only does the addition of cigarette butt cut brick production costs, but also results in lighter bricks, with better insulation properties, reducing household heating and cooling costs.
This innovative method of brick production makes bricks more environmentally friendly product because it leads to decreased dumped cigarette buts and reduces energy used during
The following properties are valid for bricks with 10% cigarette butt content:
- Density of cigarette butt Bricks is less than that of conventional bricks without cigarette butts.
- Compressive strength of cigarette butt bricks is less than the conventional bricks by more than 85%.
- Water absorption increases almost linearly with the increase of cigarette butt content.
- Cigarette butt bricks have low porosity and shrinkage.
- Bricks are light and have good insulation capability.
- The percentage of cigarette butt addition is specified based on the type of project or works in which cigarette butt bricks are used. This is because different amount of cigarette butt in bricks modify brick properties.
- Tests have been conducted on different replacement percentages like 1.5, 2.5, 7.5, and 10 percent. Each replacement quantity results in different physical properties. As the quantity of cigarette butts is increased, its detrimental effects on the bricks would be more obvious.
- It gets that waste out of the environment.
- It makes bricks cheaper.
- Less energy-intensive bricks can be produced.
- The energy needed to fire bricks can be cut by up to 58%.
- Lighter and better insulator bricks are produced; meaning they could help cut household cooling and heating demands.
- When the cigarette butts are fired in the bricks, the heavy metals and other pollutants are trapped and immobilized in the solid block so they cannot leach.
- Bricks shrinkage, porosity, and thermal properties are improved.
- Cigarette butts can be placed in bricks without any fear of leaching or contamination.
- Cigarette butt bricks are an alternative to conventional bricks.