🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteShuttering Oil or formwork oil is high-quality mineral oil that is applied to the inner surface of formwork before concreting. Shuttering oil is also known as a form or mould release agent.
Uses of Formwork OilShuttering Oil is used for the following reasons:
- Application of shuttering oil prevents sticking of formwork to the concrete surface thereby permitting easy stripping of formwork after the concrete has hardened.
- Shuttering oil protects the formwork and hence the formwork can be reused several times.
- Shuttering oil helps provide good finishing surface of the concrete with minimum defects.
- In the case of wooden formwork, shuttering oil prevents water absorption from concrete by the wooden formwork.
- Shuttering oil reduces leakage of water during the curing process.
- Shuttering oil prevents steel formwork from corrosion.
Types of Shuttering oil:
1. De-Shuttering Oil (DSO)This is a water-based mould releasing agent which gives clean and stain free high-quality concrete. It is available in a sprayable form and ready to use as a direct application on required places. It should be applied in light film either by brush or mould oil sprayer. If it is over applied, excess oil should be drained before it dries. Pools of DSO cannot be allowed to dry as it causes surface retardation of concrete. Advantages of De-Shuttering Oil are as follows:
- DSO is economical to use.
- It is non-toxic and non-hazardous.
- It can be used for all types of concrete formworks.
- It helps reduce the cleaning efforts before reusing of the formwork.
- DSO provides a damp proof interface that protects the formwork and ensures even texture and colour of concrete.