🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteConcrete, steel, glass, and timbers are the most common materials, being used in the field of modern construction. In the following table, some important characteristics of the above-mentioned materials are tabulated.
|Material||Young’s Modulus (GPa)||Tensile Strength (GPa)||Density (g.cm-3)|
- Replacement of steel cables by much stronger carbon nanotubes in suspension bridges and cable-stayed bridges
- Use of nano-silica, to produce dense cement composite materials
- Incorporation of resistive carbon nanofibers in concrete roads in snowy areas
- Incorporation of nano-titania, to produce photocatalytic concrete
- Use of nano-calcite particles in sealants to protect the structures from aggressive elements of the surrounding environment
- Use of nanoclays in concrete to enhance its plasticity and flowability.
- Urban air quality could be improved by if the civil structures are treated with nano TiO2