🕑 Reading time: 1 minute
- Self-Healing Materials in Civil Engineering
- The topics that are selected for the research in Self Healing Materials are:
- Some basic questions and answers on Self Healing Materials:
Self-Healing Materials in Civil EngineeringSelf Healing Materials are a type of smart materials that have the built in capability to repair the early stage damage that would finally lead to material failure. This research is inspired by nature as living organisms already possess the capability of self healing (repair of damage like wound healing, recovery of broken limbs). This research is being carried out at The Delft Centre for Materials, at Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands.
The topics that are selected for the research in Self Healing Materials are:
- Asphaltic materials
- Bio-inspired technical materials
- Cementitious materials
- Composites and hybrids
- Paints and other coatings
- Structural polymers
- Biological systems
- Theoretical models related to Self Healing
- Characterisation of Self Healing behaviour
Figure: Self healing action of self healing materialsUsually, cracks are repaired by hand, which is difficult because cracks are often hard to detect. A material (polymers, ceramics, etc.) that can repair damage caused by normal usage could lower production costs of a number of different industrial processes through longer part lifetime, reduction of inefficiency over time caused by degradation, as well as prevent costs incurred by material failure. For a material to be defined as self-healing, it is necessary that the healing process occurs without human intervention.