🕑 Reading time: 1 minute
- What is Concrete Curing Compound?
- Types of Concrete Curing Compounds
- Properties of Concrete Curing Compound
- Process of Applying Concrete Curing Compound
- Uses of Concrete Curing Compound
What is Concrete Curing Compound?Curing is essential for the hydration of cement in concrete making. So, to maintain required moisture content, come precautions are applied. Concrete curing compound is a compound which helps to prevent the loss of moisture content from the concrete. So, concrete is properly cured which results the full development of strength of concrete.
Types of Concrete Curing Compounds
- Synthetic resin compound
- Acrylic compound
- Wax compound
- Chlorinated rubber compound
Synthetic Resin Concrete Curing CompoundSynthetic resins will seal the concrete by forming a membrane. If we want to provide plastering, the membrane can be removed by washing it with hot water.
Acrylic Concrete Curing CompoundAcrylic is made of polymers of acrylic acid. It also seals the concrete in good manner. It is having property of adhesion to the subsequent plaster. No need to wash the surface of acrylic with hot water if we want to provide plastering.
Wax Concrete Curing CompoundWax compound have similar properties like resin compound. The wax membrane will lose its efficiency with time increment.
Chlorinated Rubber Curing compoundChlorinated rubber type curing compound will form thick layer when we applied. It seals the concrete tightly and also fills the minute pores present in the concrete. But the film cannot stay for longer period. It is wear out in the long run.
Properties of Concrete Curing CompoundThere are 5 properties to deicide the quality of concrete curing compound namely
- Water retention
- Drying period
- Long term setting
- Non-volatile matter
Process of Applying Concrete Curing CompoundConcrete curing compounds formed a membrane when we applied to fresh concrete. This member does not allow the inside moisture to come out of concrete hence, curing occurs. This curing compounds possess waxes, natural resins, synthetic resins and solvents of high volatility. Generally white or gray colors are appeared when we apply curing compound on fresh concrete. These pigments are provided heat reflectance and also useful to check the area of curing completed. Curing compound is applied when the finishing is completed and free water present on the surface gets disappeared. The curing compound is applied through spraying pipe as shown in above figure with constant rate of pressure. Generally, one liter of curing compound can be sprayed for 0.20 – 0.25m2 surface area of fresh concrete. The sprayer pressure is usually 0.5 - 0.7 MPa. In small areas, we can also use brushes or paint rollers to apply curing compounds. Curing compound should not be applied on surfaces which receive additional concreting.
Uses of Concrete Curing CompoundThere are so many uses of curing compound in concrete. Which are
- If wet curing is not possible, then curing compound can be used to cure the concrete surface.
- For larger areas of concrete surfaces which are opened to sunlight, wind etc. curing is big task. But with the presence of curing compound it is easier.
- Curing of concrete pavements, run ways, bridge decks etc. can be cured to reach their maximum strength.
- Maximum durability of structure will be developed.
- Curing compound can be used for curing of canal linings, dams
- Columns, beams, slabs can also be cured with curing compound
- The membrane cane removed easily after complete curing.