🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteThere are several site factors that lead to increase construction of heavy civil projects. These factors are not the same from one project to another one.
- Site Factors Affecting Construction Cost of Heavy Civil Projects
- 1. Bad Weather Condition
- 2. Difficulty in Accessing the Construction Site
- 3. Remote Construction Site
- 4. Short Contract Period
- 5. Off-Site Disposal Requirements
- 6. Traffic Problems
- 7. Quarry or Borrow Pit Permit Requirements
- 8. Excavation Adjacent to High Level of Groundwater
- 9. Limitation on How the Construction Site can be Developed
- 10. Limits on Working Hours
- 11. Restriction on Level of Noise in Residential Neighborhood
Site Factors Affecting Construction Cost of Heavy Civil ProjectsSite factors that increase the cost of heavy civil constructions include:
- Bad weather condition
- Difficulty in accessing the construction site
- Remote construction site
- Short contract period
- Off-site disposal requirements
- Traffic problems
- Quarry or borrow pit permit requirements
- Excavation adjacent to high level of groundwater
- Limitation on how the construction site can be developed
- Limits on working hours
- Restriction on the level of noise in residential neighborhood
1. Bad Weather ConditionOne of the major site factors that may increase cost of construction is the bad weather for example continues precipitation and short construction season.
Fig.1: Bad weather condition during construction generates difficulty and damage part of construction project or and equipment and hence increase construction cost
2. Difficulty in Accessing the Construction SiteDifficult accessibility is another factor that increase construction cost. Construction of temporary roads which are used to transport materials, equipment, and personnel to the construction site is an example of raising cost due to difficult access to the project site.
Fig.2: Temporary construction access road
3. Remote Construction SiteIf the construction is remote, then it is likely that labor shortage will be encountered. So, labors are required to commute from other places which clearly increase the construction cost. Added to that, transportation cost of equipment and materials will also increase construction cost.
Fig.3: Remote project site increases construction cost due bringing labors from other regions and delivering of materials and equipment