The preparations of detailed construction estimate consist of working out quantities of various items of work and then determine the cost of each item. This is prepared in two stages.
- Methods of Detailed Construction Estimation Preparation
- i) Details of measurements and calculation of quantities:
- Details of measurements form
- ii) Abstract of Estimated Cost:
- Abstract of Estimate Form
- The detailed estimate should be accompanied with:
- Factors to be considered while Preparing Detailed Estimate:
- Data for detailed estimate:
- Fixing of Rate per Unit of an Item:
Methods of Detailed Construction Estimation Preparation
i) Details of measurements and calculation of quantities:
The complete work is divided into various items of work such as earthwork concreting, brickwork, reinforced concrete, plastering etc. The details of measurements are taken from drawings and entered in respective columns of prescribed proforma.
The quantities are calculated by multiplying the values that are in numbers column to Depth column as shown below:
Details of measurements form
ii) Abstract of Estimated Cost:
The cost of each item of work is worked out from the quantities that already computed in the detailed measurement form at workable rate. But the total cost is worked out in the prescribed form is known as abstract of estimated form. 4%of estimated Cost is allowed for Petty Supervision, contingencies and unforeseen items.
Abstract of Estimate Form
The detailed estimate should be accompanied with:
- Drawings (plans, elevation, sections)
- Design charts and calculations
- Standard schedule of rates.
Factors to be considered while Preparing Detailed Estimate:
i) Quantity and transportation of materials: For bigger project, the requirement of materials is more. Such bulk volume of materials will be purchased and transported definitely at cheaper rate.
ii) Location of site: The site of work is selected, such that it should reduce damage or in transit during loading, unloading, stocking of materials.
iii) Local labour charges: The skill, suitability and wages of local labores are considered while preparing the detailed estimate.
Data for detailed estimate:
The process of working out the cost or rate per unit of each item is called as Data. In preparation of Data, the rates of materials and labour are obtained from current standard scheduled of rates and while the quantities of materials and labour required for one unit of item are taken from Standard Data Book (S.D.B).
Fixing of Rate per Unit of an Item:
The rate per unit of an item includes the following:
1) Quantity of materials & cost: The requirement of materials is taken strictly in accordance with standard data book (S.D.B). The cost of these includes first cost, freight, insurance and transportation charges.
ii) Cost of labour: The exact number of labourers required for unit of work and the multiplied by the wages/ day to get of labour for unit item work.
iii) Cost of equipment (T&P): Some works need special type of equipment, tools and plant. In such case, an amount of 1 to 2% of estimated cost is provided.
iv) Overhead charges: To meet expenses of office rent, depreciation of equipment salaries of staff postage, lighting an amount of 4% of estimate cost is allocated.