🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteDifferent types of pipes are used for underground drains construction. The properties of these pipes and type of drainage required decides the selection of pipes. Underground drain pipes are subjected to various types of chemical and physical attacks, so these must be kept in mind during their selection.
Types of Pipes for Underground Drain Construction
1. Concrete Drainage PipesConcrete drainage pipes are available as precast pipes in various sizes and shapes such as round and elliptical. Precast concrete pipes provide easy fittings and easy to install. These have following advantages:
- Adaptability - The precast concrete pipes can be designed, built and installed as per specifications and requirements at construction site.
- Strength - The underground concrete drainage pipes can be designed to withstand any combination of loads.
- Hydraulic Efficiency - It provides required Manning's "n" value of 0.012 for better hydraulic efficiency.
- Availability - Precast concrete pipes are produced locally to meet local needs, so it is readily available for construction without much transportation.
- Economy – It offers long service life, thus it is cost-effective for use in underground drains.