🕑 Reading time: 1 minute
Construction barriers are physical items in the form of signs or fences that are used on the construction sites to protect anything against damage, limit the movement or a specific work and prevent unauthorized actions on the construction.
More detailed functions and characteristics of construction barriers are explained briefly in this article.
Functions of Construction Barriers
The main functions of construction barriers are enlisted here.
- Construction barriers can be used to limit the movement of vehicles, equipment, and vehicles as per the specific requirement or in predetermined areas. These decisions are made to perform a particular work on the site without any disturbances.
- Construction barriers can be used to protect the existing trees against the abrasion or damage that are happened during the construction activities.
- Sensitive areas like water bodies and newly seeded areas can be protected by employing properly planned construction barriers.
- Construction barriers restrict the unnecessary and unauthorized access of vehicles, equipment, and people into the prohibited areas of the construction site.
Location of Construction Barriers in Construction Site
The construction barriers are recommended for the following situations:
- Construction barriers are necessary for areas where there are earth changes or in the areas where the protection of property or personnel or the natural resources is needed.
- Construction barriers are necessary for preventing traffic and any other disruptive activities.
- This helps to isolate an area that has erodible soil or steep slopes that are more susceptible to erosion.
It is recommended to have construction barriers from the start of the project and used depending on the duration of the project.
Types of Construction Barriers
The main types of construction barriers used in the construction site are:
- Concrete Construction Barriers
- Plastic Construction Barriers
- Guard Rails
- Safety Nets
1. Concrete Construction Barriers
Concrete construction barriers are used in highway projects. These are temporary barriers that protect the working crews from the traffic. This helps to keep the equipment and tools contained within the worksite.
These are used in building construction happening near to roadways. The concrete barriers have anchors at their bottom to let them hold in place. Reflective markings are places on these to increase visibility.
2. Plastic Construction Barriers
Plastic construction barriers are economical and light in weight when compared to concrete. They are filled with water or soil to stay in place. It is used to alert the vehicles and the foot traffic about the construction activity going on.
3. Guard Rails
These are construction barriers used in job sites to prevent workers from falling. The guard rails are employed along the edges of the elevated platform or temporary openings and hazard-prone areas. Guard rails are often designated with a warning tape so that people and workers are alert about the potential hazard.
Fencing around the working site area by means of a plastic mesh or a chain link helps people and pedestrians to warn about the ongoing construction activities. This also helps to employ the construction activities withing the confined area.
Silt fencing is a type of fencing constructed to protect the environment around the construction site. This acts as a barrier against the reach of construction pollutants to the local waterways.
5. Safety Nets
Safety nets are provided in the construction site to protect the people and the property from falling. The pedestrians are hence protected from injury or death due to the unexpected fall of properties or materials from height during the construction.
A good safety net can act as a primary back up or as a fall arrest system.
Advantages of Construction Barriers in Construction Site
The main advantages of construction barriers are:
- Construction barriers help to reduce the unexpected disruption in the site. This would help in the smooth working environment on the site.
- Having construction barriers would increase the rate of preservation of the existing vegetation
- This also helps to reduce the adverse effects of soil erosion or compaction
- Post-construction regrading can be reduced by the effective use of construction barriers.