Bulk density of concrete is the mass of freshly mixed concrete required to fill the container of a unit volume. Bulk density of concrete reflects the ability of concrete to function for structural support, water and solute movement, and durability. This method helps to calculate the yield of concrete per cubic meter.
Procedure for Bulk Density of Concrete as per IS 1199
- Tamping rod 38 cm long
- Cylindrical measure – Inner dia – 250 mm, Outer dia – 280 mm and Capacity- 0.01 Cum
- The Cylindrical measure jar is filled with freshly mixed concrete and compacted using tamping rod. the layers of 50 mm is placed and compacted with not less than 60 strokes till the measure fills up.
- Compaction us either done by tamping rod or by the means of f an electric or pneumatic hammer or by means of a suitable vibrating table until the specified condition is attained.
- The exterior surface of the cylinder shall be tapped smartly 10 to 15 times or until no large bubbles of air appear on the surface of the compacted layer.
- After consolidation of the concrete, the top surface shall be struck-off and and finished smoothly with a flat cover plate using great care to leave the measure just level full.
- All excess concrete shah then be cleaned from the exterior.
- The filled measure jar is weighed (W).
1. Density of Concrete (W1) is the weight per cubic meter of concrete shall be calculated by dividing the weight of fully compacted concrete in the cylindrical measure by the capacity of measure in kg/cu.m
2. Yield of Concrete (V2) is the volume of concrete produced per cum
Wc= Weight of cement in kg
Wf= Weight of fine aggregate in kg
Wca= Weight of coarse aggregate in kg
Ww= Weight of water in kg