The methods and units of measurements for civil construction works are mainly categorised for their nature, shape and size and for making payments to the contractor. The principle of units of measurements normally consists the following:
a) Single units work like doors, windows, trusses etc., are expressed in numbers.
b) Works consists linear measurements involve length like cornice, fencing, hand rail, bands of specified width etc., are expressed in running metres (RM)
c) Works consists areal surface measurements involve area like plastering, white washing, partitions of specified thickness etc., and are expressed in square meters (m2)
d) Works consists cubical contents which involve volume like earth work, cement concrete, Masonry etc are expressed in Cubic metres.
Table below shows units of measurement of various items of civil engineering works based on IS 1200.
|Sl. No.||Particulars of item||Units of measurement||Units of payment|
|1. Earthwork in excavation||CUM||Per CUM|
|2. Earthwork in filling in foundation trenches||CUM||Per CUM|
|3. Earth work in filling in plinth||CUM||Per CUM|
|1. Lime concrete in foundation||CUM||Per CUM|
|2. Cement concrete in lintels||CUM||Per CUM|
|3. RCC in slab||CUM||Per CUM|
|4. Cement concrete or RCC in chujja, sunshade||CUM||Per CUM|
|5. Lean concrete in roof terracing (thickness specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|6. Cement concrete bed||CUM||Per CUM|
|7. Reinforced concrete sunshade (specified width and height)||CUM||Per CUM|
|3||Damp proof course (DPC) – thickness mentioned||SQM||Per SQM|
|1. Brickwork in foundation||CUM||Per CUM|
|2. Brickwork in plinth||CUM||Per CUM|
|3. Brickwork in super structure||CUM||Per CUM|
|4. Thin partition walls||SQM||Per SQM|
|5. Brickwork in arches||CUM||Per SQM|
|6. Reinforced brickwork||CUM||Per CUM|
|1. Stone masonry||CUM||Per CUM|
|1. Doors and windows frames or chaukhats, rafters, beams||CUM||Per CUM|
|2. Shutters of doors and windows (thickness specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|3. Doors and windows fittings (like hinges, tower bolts, sliding bolts, handles)||Each||Per Each|
|1. Steel reinforcement bars etc. in RCC and reinforced brick work||Quintal||Per Quintal|
|2. Bending, binding of steel reinforcement||Quintal||Per quintal|
|3. Rivets, bolts and nuts, anchor bolts, lewis bolts, holding down bolts||Quintal||Per quintal|
|4. Iron hold fasts||–||–|
|5. Iron railing (height and types specified)||–||–|
|6. Iron grills||SQM||Per SQM|
|1. RCC and RB slab roof (excluding steel)||CUM||Per CUM|
|2. Lean concrete roof over and inclusive of tiles or brick or stone slab etc. (thickness specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|3. Centering and shuttering formwork||SQM||Per SQM|
|4. AC sheet roofing||SQM||Per SQM|
|9||Plastering, points and finishing|
|1. Plastering – cement or lime mortar (thickness and proportion specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|2. Pointing||SQM||Per SQM|
|3. White washing, color washing, cement washing, (number of coats specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|4. Distempering (number of coats specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|5. Painting, varnishing (number of coats specified)||SQM||Per SQM|
|1. 25mm cement concrete over 75mm lime concrete floor (including lean concrete)||SQM||Per SQM|
|2. 25mm or 40mm cement concrete floor||SQM||Per SQM|
|3. Doors and window sills (CC or cement mortar plain)||SQM||Per SQM|
|11||Rain water pipe / plain pipe||RM||Per RM|
|12||Steel wooden truss||Each||Per each|
|13||Glass panels (supply)||SQM||Per SQM|
|14||Fixing of glass panels or cleaning||Each||Per Each|
- SQM = Square meter
- CUM = Cubic meter
- RM = Running meter
Methods for Measurement of civil engineering works:
The rules for measurement of each item are invariably described in IS – 1200. However some of the general rules are listed below:
1. Measurement shall be made for finished item of work and description of each item shall include materials, transport, labour, fabrication tools and plant and all types of overheads for finished the work in required shape, size and specification.
2. In booking, the order shall be in sequence of length, breadth and height or thickness.
3. All works shall be measured subject to the following tolerances.
- Linear measurement shall be measured to the nearest 0.01m.
- Areas shall be measured to the nearest 0.01 SQM
- Cubic contents shall be worked out to the nearest 0.01 cum.
4. Same type of work under different conditions and nature shall be measured separately under separate items.
5. The bill of quantities shall fully describe the materials, proportions, workmanships and accurately represent the work to be executed.
6. In case of masonry (stone or brick) or structural concrete, the categories shall be measured separately and the heights shall be described as:
- From foundation to plinth level
- From plinth to first floor level
- From first floor to second floor level and so on.