🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteMany strengthening techniques are available depending on the purpose needed from strengthening. Some of those techniques are explained in details in the following sections. Why do we strengthen or retrofit buildings?
- Increase in the applied loads.
- Mistakes or unsafe design.
- R.steel corrosion or insufficient number of bars
- Cracks in concrete or stress less than design stress.
- The settlement in the foundation is more than the allowable.
Fig.1: Strengthening a slab by increasing its depth from bottom
Fig.2: Strengthening a slab by increasing its depth from top.There are also some other techniques used for strengthening a reinforced concrete slab such as:
- Increasing the shear bearing capacity of the slab by adding steel plates strengthened by vertical screw bolts.
- Strengthening of the slab by post stressed reinforcement.
- Adding steel beams.
- In case of hollow slabs, reinforced concrete is added inside the holes of the slab.