🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteTypes of arches based on shape, material of construction, workmanship and number of centers are discussed here. An arch is constructed in curved shape due to which loads from above is distributed to supports (pier or abutment).
- Types of Arches
- Types of Arches based on shape:
- Types of Arches based on number of Centers
- Types of Arches based on Workmanship and Construction Materials
Types of ArchesArches are classified based on:
- Number of Centre’s
- Materials of construction
Types of Arches based on shape:Based on the shape of construction arches are classified into 10 types and they are discussed below.
- For flat arch, the intrados is apparently flat and it acts as a base of equilateral triangle which was formed by the horizontal angle of 600 by skewbacks.
- Even though the intrados is flat but it is given that a slight rise of camber of about 10 to 15 mm per meter width of opening is allowed for small settlements.
- Extrados is also horizontal and flat. These flat arches are generally used for light loads, and for spans up to 1.5m.
- This is the basic type of arch used for buildings in which Centre of arch lies below the springing line.
- In segmental arch, the thrust Transferred in inclined direction to the abutment.