🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteWe all know that “Necessity is the mother of Invention.” Changing requirements, parameters, time constraints, size of works, specifications, quality requirements make mankind to go for innovations and develop new materials, equipment and technologies. Construction materials, equipment, and building techniques have become more energy-efficient, need-based, economical, environment-friendly, user friendly, and aesthetically better. The material and equipment, we choose to construct our buildings should enhance safety, minimize pollution, be friendly to the natural environment, and in general create a healthy atmosphere. The buildings should have a good waste management system, water conservation, and use less artificial energy.
- Few Important Tips for Innovations in Construction Materials and Equipments
- Innovation in Construction Materials
- Examples of Innovations in Building Materials:
- Acceptance of Building Materials
- Economy of Materials
- Sustainability of Building Materials
- Using Local Resources
- Future Modification Potential
- Utilization of waste and by-Products
- Environment Friendly
- Innovations Tips for Construction Equipments and Machinery
Few Important Tips for Innovations in Construction Materials and Equipments
Innovation in Construction MaterialsBuilding Materials constitute about 40% of the Project Cost in Construction Projects. Therefore it becomes necessary that the materials are used more efficiently. Even the selection of proper material is as important as efficient use of the same. Innovation in respect of the materials should be done considering the requirements and suitability of the Project.
Examples of Innovations in Building Materials:
- The development of Super Plasticizers has resulted in the Production of pumpable, high early strength concretes requiring minimum compaction.
- Replacement of sand and cement with pond ash/fly ash in concrete production is one of the uses of waste products into very useful material. It fulfilled the need to reduce cost and solve the problem of disposal of ash coming out of the power plants to a great extent.
- The use of Super Ductile rebars is another example of need-based development of the materials. These rebars have been developed to absorb the excessive stress generated during earthquakes. The rebars are having superior mechanical properties, better bond strength, and improved ductility. The use of these rebars in high-rise buildings makes them safer, by preventing the collapse of buildings and preventing loss of life.
Acceptance of Building MaterialsMaterials used in the construction should be such that these are accepted by the construction industry and the end-user.
Economy of MaterialsThe economy is an essential requirement of any activity. The new materials which are economical in use will be accepted more. Efforts should be made to ensure that the new product does not put an additional financial burden on the construction.
Sustainability of Building MaterialsOne of the major requirements of innovative materials should be their sustainability. One of the factors affecting this criterion is nonavailability for a long period of time.
Using Local ResourcesIt is always advisable to develop new materials which are locally available. The advantage will be saving on the transport cost and easy availability.
Future Modification PotentialThe innovative material should have the potential for further modification, suiting to the requirements at that point in time. The new material should have the quality of changing as per the need of the hour.
Utilization of waste and by-ProductsEfforts should be made to develop and use materials that have been formed with waste products or by-products. The use of by-products will result in saving cost and space for their disposal.
Environment FriendlyThe New material should not have an adverse effect on the Environment. Excessive use of Plastics or Polymers may have an adverse effect on human health.
Innovations Tips for Construction Equipments and MachineryThe equipment produces output at an accelerated speed and enables the performance of tasks in a shorter time. The tasks which are not possible to be done with manpower only can be done with the help of suitable plants and equipment. Equipment improves productivity, quality, and safety. Any Equipment when Innovated shall be taken care of the few important points such as:-
- Easy to Use.
- Easy to maintain.
- Future Modification Potential
- Energy Saving and
- Least Polluting.