🕑 Reading time: 1 minute
What is a Surge Tank?Surge tank is a water storage device used as pressure neutralizer in hydropower water conveyance system to resists excess pressure rise and pressure drop conditions.
Functions of Surge TanksThe important functions of surge tank are as follows
- It should Protects the conduit system from high internal pressures.
- It should help the hydraulic turbine regarding its regulation characteristics.
- It should store the water to raise the pressure in pressure drop conditions.
Location of Surge TanksThe location of surge tank is also important to produce better results. It should be located in such a way that
- Surge tanks are located near to the power house to reduce length of penstocks.
- No limitations regarding surge tank height.
- Location at which flat sloped conduit and steep sloped penstock meets.
Types of Surge TanksVarious types of surge tanks used in the hydropower water conveyance system are as follows.
- Simple surge tank
- Gallery type surge tank
- Inclined surge tank
- Restricted orifice surge tank
- Differential surge tank