Following are few general points to remember for civil site engineers to make the construction work easier while maintaining quality of construction.
- Lapping is not allowed for the bars having diameters more than 36 mm.
- Chair spacing maximum spacing is 1.00 m (or) 1 No per 1m2.
- For dowels rod minimum of 12 mm diameter should be used.
- Chairs minimum of 12 mm diameter bars to be used.
- Longitudinal reinforcement not less than 0.8% and more than 6% of gross C/S.
- Minimum bars for square column is 4 No’s and 6 No’s for circular column.
- Main bars in the slabs shall not be less than 8 mm (HYSD) or 10 mm (Plain bars) and the distributors not less than 8 mm and not more than 1/8 of slab thickness.
- Minimum thickness of slab is 125 mm.
- Dimension tolerance for cubes + 2 mm.
- Free fall of concrete is allowed maximum to 1.50m.
- Lap slices not be used for bar larger than 36 mm.
- Water absorption of bricks should not be more than 15 %.
- PH value of the water should not be less than 6.
- Compressive strength of Bricks is 3.5 N / mm2.
- In steel reinforcement binding wire required is 8 kg per MT.
- In soil filling as per IS code, 3 samples should be taken for core cutting test for every 100m2.
Density of Materials:
1600 – 1920 kg/m3
1920 kg/ m3
2310 – 2700 kg/ m3
Curing time of RCC Members for different types of cement:
Super Sulphate cement: 7 days
Ordinary Portland cement OPC: 10 days
Minerals & Admixture added cement: 14 days
De-Shuttering time of different RCC Members
For columns, walls, vertical form works
Soffit formwork to slabs
3 days (props to be refixed after removal)
Soffit to beams props
7 days (props to refixed after removal)
Beams spanning upto 4.5m
Beams spanning over 4.5m
Arches spanning up to 6m
Arches spanning over 6m
Cube samples required for different quantity of concrete:
Quantity of Concrete
No. of cubes required
1 – 5 m3
6 0 15 m3
16 – 30 m3
31 – 50 m3
Above 50 m3
4 + 1 No’s of addition of each 50 m3
Read More Construction Tips