🕑 Reading time: 1 minuteExposed concrete floors are suitable for various applications is used for warehouses, galleries etc. It offers acceptable and satisfactory performance in most cases. Different aspects of exposed concrete floors and finishes are discussed in this article.
- Exposed Concrete Floor and Finishes, Its Construction and Applications
- Properties of Exposed Concrete Floors
- Applications of Exposed Concrete Floors
- Construction of Exposed Concrete Floors
- Finishes for Exposed Concrete Floor
- Pattern and Texture of Exposed Floor Finishes
- Color of Exposed Concrete Floor
Exposed Concrete Floor and Finishes, Its Construction and ApplicationsFollowing topics regarding exposed concrete floors are covered:
- Properties of exposed concrete floors
- Applications of exposed concrete floors
- Construction of exposed concrete floors
- Exposed concrete floor finishes
- Pattern and texture of exposed floor finishes
- Color of exposed concrete floor
Fig.1: Exposed Concrete Floors and Finishes
Properties of Exposed Concrete Floors
- Exposed concrete floor need to be adequately strong to be able to support heavy load and traffics.
- It should be durable.
- It should properly resist wearing.
Applications of Exposed Concrete FloorsExposed concrete floors are suitable for various applications and can be considered for many projects. This is because it offers acceptable and satisfactory performance in most cases. The common applications of exposed concrete floors are:
- Domestic living rooms
- It is particularly desirable to be combined with under floor heating for efficient and continuous heating space heating
Construction of Exposed Concrete FloorsGenerally, the prime aim for the construction of exposed concrete floor is to have leveled concrete floor surface, distribute aggregate evenly, and keep air voids to as minimum as possible.
The following procedure should be followed to achieve such objective:
- Concrete should have adequate compressive strength (minimum 32MPa) and utilization of additives should be prevented.
- The use of agents such as curing agents should be avoided unless it is accepted in advance. This is to prevent chemical reactions which might occur during polishing of concrete floor surface.
- Finished surface tolerances are maximum +/-3mm for 3m length, +/-2mm for 1m length, and +/-1mm for 0.3m length.
- The application of mechanical or hand trowel will not only reduce air voids but also level the surface.
- Edging trowel is advised to be used for finishing exposing edges.
- Casting of aggregate, stones and other objects that intended to be polished should be carried out after screeding and prior to bull floating and troweling.
Finishes for Exposed Concrete FloorGenerally, the upper face of exposed floor is flat and unformed unlike others faces which are formed due to formworks. So, the upper face needs to be formed using proper techniques to achieve required texture and shape. Frequently, polished finishes are considered for exposed concrete floors and two methods are available to achieve this type of floor finish. It should be known that each technique produce different exposed floor appearance. These polishing techniques are explained in the following sections:
- Power floated method
- Diamond polished method