What is the object of pointing?
Describe the operation of pointing.
Join TheConstructor to ask questions, answer questions, write articles, and connect with other people. When you join you get additional benefits.
Log in to TheConstructor to ask questions, answer people’s questions, write articles & connect with other people. When you join you get additional benefits.
Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email.
There is no specific object of pointing. Due to pointing, we can get a good aesthetic look of the structure.
Basic purpose of pointing is
Pointing is a technique to apply cement or lime mortar to brick masonry at joints to prevent the entry of dampness in the building and make it waterproof.
It is also provided for aesthetic purposes.
Operation Carried out is:
Mortar preparation-> application of it on the brick wall joints with the help of trowel->
Finish properly-> apply brush till it gardens.
Pointing is a type of front of the house exposed finish on masonry works. I have seen it on stone work in parts of northern Karnataka for houses and boundary walls.
Some of the types of pointing are :
Pointing is done using richer mix than the stone masonry mortar whilst the mortar in the jones is still green. Joints must be raked properly before pointing. If you are pointing on old work moisten the joints few hours before taking up the pointing.
Hope this helps.
As usual, 1st see the definition of Pointing, then we will discuss its objective and operational steps.
Objectives of Pointing :
Types of Pointing :
Operation steps of Pointing :
In technical terms, pointing is a process of repairing joints between bricks.
But, In the practical world, it is the technique to fill the gaps between bricks and gives the unplastered wall an aesthetic look.
Following are some commonly used techniques of pointing:
Operation of pointing:
Hope this helps you.
Pointing is done in the area of less rainfall. It is suitable. Salient features of Pointing is given below :
Pointing :- It is the art of finishing the mortar joints in the exposed brick or stone masonry with suitable cement or lime mortar, in order to protect the joints from weather effects and also to improve the appearance of building structure. Pointing is a type of front of the house exposed finish on masonry work.
Object of pointing :- The main object of the pointing is to maintaining the joints of the structures. Pointing being cheap can be adopted in places of low rainfall. Pointing gives resisting power to the bricks and stones used in construction towards weather conditions.
Operation of pointing :-
1. All the mortar joints (on the masonry face required to be pointed) are raked out by a special pointing tool to a depth of 15 to 20 mm, so as to provide an adequate key for the fresh mortar used for pointing.
2. All the loose mortar and dust are removed by brushes.
3. The joints and wall surface are washed with clean water, and then kept wet for few hours. The joints so prepared, are filled with suitable mortar with a small trowel.
4. The mortar is well presses into the joints to form a close contact with the old interior mortar joints and all excess mortar sticking to the sides are scraped away.
5. The finished pointing work is kept wet for about 3 days when lime mortar is used for pointing and for 10 days when cement mortar is used for pointing.